Making Democracy Work

Voting and Elections

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name?

Register to Vote, Change Name or Party

How to Register: Apply with your County Department of Elections:
  • By Mail or In Person or
  • By Phone

Click here to find your County Department's address or phone number.

Click here to find the form you can print, sign and mail.

Or, you may register at any of these agencies if you have other business to do there: Division of Motor Vehicles, Department of Health & Social Services, Department of Labor.

Eligibility: To be eligible to vote in the State of Delaware, you must be:

  • United States Citizen
  • Resident of Delaware (proof required)
  • 18 years of age
  • Mentally competent

Note: Legislation enacted in 2010 allows 16 year olds to register to vote through the Division of Motor Vehicles at the time they first apply for their driver's license. However, they will not be allowed to vote unless they have turned 18 before the next general election.

Registration Deadline: The voter registration deadline for the presidential primary election is April 2, 2016, and it is April 11, 2016 for overseas citizens and military. The voter registration deadline for the general election is October 15, 2014, and it is October 24, 2014 for overseas citizens and military members.

Note: You may register to vote anytime during the fourth Sunday before presidential primary, non-presidential primary and general election through the respective election. You may change your political party affiliation except during the closed period to each primary or presidential primary election.

ID Needed for Voter Registration: Identification is not necessary to register to vote if you use the National Voter Registration Form. However, when registering with the department of elections or at an alternate approved location, current identification is required. The identification must include current and valid photo ID that shows full name and address. If that is not available, you may submit a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows full name and address.

For voters without a fixed address: Anyone lacking a fixed residence or who is homeless and is otherwise qualified to vote in Delaware may register by completing the proper registration forms and providing two pieces of identification containing his/her name; one of the pieces must include the mailing address on the application, which may be a shelter or agency.

For Uniformed and Overseas Voters: Military and Overseas voters are United States Citizens who are members of the Army, Navy, Air Force Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, family members of the above and United States citizens residing outside of the country. For information, go here.

Felons: Former felons are eligible to vote if they have met certain requirements: at least five years must have elapsed since the full sentence (prison and probation) and any fines have been satisfied before an application to register can be made. Felony convictions for murder, some sexual crimes or a crime against the public (e.g. abuse of office, bribery, etc.) results in permanent loss of the right to vote. To see if you are eligible please contact (302)739-4277.

To Change your address or name: It is your responsibility to notify your County Department of Elections as soon as you move. (See "How to Register" above.) They will update your records and supply you with new information about your polling place, etc. If you are still waiting to notify your County Department, you may still vote. You will have to call your County Department of Elections for information about your new polling place location and before voting there, fill out a change of address form. You may fill out a change of address in the Fail Safe Voting line in the polling place.

Also contact the County Department of Elections if you change your name.

To Change Your Party Affiliation: You may affiliate with a party when you register to vote. If you do not affiliate with any party, you will be registered as "unaffiliated" and will not be able to vote in a Primary Election.

You may change your political party affiliation (including from "unaffiliated" to a party):

  • Before a Presidential Primary: anytime except for 60 days before the Presidential Primary.
  • Before the Primary Election: before May 31, 2014.

To change your official party affiliation, contact your County Board of Elections.

To verify your voter registration status Contact your County Board of Elections.


Find information about voting and elections including how to find your polling place here.